Monday, November 26, 2012
Christmas Advent Ideas
This time of year it is so easy to get caught up in the stress of trying to create the "perfect Christmas" that we forget what the season is really all about, spending time with family and friends. This year make sure to schedule time to do some of the fun things associated with the holidays. Do up an activity advent calendar for each day from December 1st until the 25th.
Here are some ideas:
- watch a Christmas movie and pop some popcorn
- drive around and look at Christmas lights
- go for a walk in the snow
- bake Christmas cookies
- have hot chocolate by a fire and listen to Christmas music
- decorate the tree
- go skating
- camp out under the Christmas tree
- go caroling
- turn up the Christmas music really loud and have a dance party
- read a book
- make popcorn balls
- check out ABC Family 25 Days of Christmas schedule and pick a night to watch your favourite
- make candy cane milk shakes
- window shop and look at all the Christmas displays
- go see a play or concert
- invite a few friends over for cocktails or mocktails
- make a snowman pizza
- family game night
- bake cupcakes
- take treats to the neighbors
- read the nativity story
- have dinner by candlelight
- call someone long distance
- play "secret Santa" to someone in need
I'm sure you could come up with plenty more!
Here's another great way for little ones to count down to Christmas. Last year I wrapped up 24 Christmas books individually and gave them to a special little 2 year old in our lives on the last day of November. Starting December 1st he was able to unwrap one book a day and read it with his Mommy and Daddy until it was finally Christmas. He loved it! In fact, he loved it so much that, since his family decided that mornings were the most convenient time for him to open the gifts, he started getting up earlier and earlier just so that he could open his present for that day!
Do you have any special traditions that your family does during the holidays?