Friday, July 20, 2012

Make Your Bedroom An Oasis

Not too many years ago my bedroom was a mess.  I never made the bed, there were laundry baskets all over the floor and there was an eliptical machine in the corner that, while great for hanging clothes, only made me feel guilty each night that I went to bed without exercising.

I read an article that said that you spend 1/3 of your life in your bedroom and it should be a haven from the rest of the world.  You should not have anything in your room that makes you feel bad.  I looked around my own room and I felt bad every time I saw the dirty laundry on the floor or the clean laundry sitting in baskets waiting to be folded.  I also felt guilty every time I looked at that darned eliptical machine!  I did not need this guilt at the end of a long day!

I resolved then and there that I would make my room inviting; I would make it my reward for a long day of work and taking care of my family.  My bedroom makes me smile now.  I enjoy spending time in there and I most importantly, I got rid of all of the guilt.

You deserve a refuge from the storm that is life too!  Take anything out of your bedroom that does not make you smile. Choose items that make you feel warm and comfy.  You don't have to have the best sheets and blankets just ones that make you feel good.



Also to ensure a good nights rest, be sure to change your pillows at least every 18-24 months.  An old pillow does not give your head the support that it needs and you can ultimately end up with chronic neck and back pain.  In time, dead skin, dust mites and other allergens can accumulate on your pillow. This can cause more than nasal congestion. These items can weigh down your pillow, causing it to go flat or lose shape.


Here's a trick to see if your pillow needs to be changed.  Hold your arm directly out in front of you.




Now centre your pillow over your hand.




If the pillow looks like the one above, it's past time to change it.  The weight of all the sweat, dust, dust mites makes the pillow heavier and it will fold over your hand.




A good pillow will stand up and will be difficult to balance on your hand (and even harder to balance when one is trying to take a picture of it too!).  


It is my hope for you that your room makes you feel as snug as a bug in a rug!  Sweet dreams!







No comments:

Post a Comment