Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Do you consider yourself a creative person? Do you like to draw or paint? Maybe you enjoy singing or playing an instrument. There are endless ways for people to show their creativity.
Creative people love to have fun and are often the life of the party. But did you also know that, for the most part, creative people are also the most disorganized people? It's not really their fault because creative people tend to be right-brain dominant and organizing comes more naturally to people who are left-brained dominant.
Those people that just seem to be born organized tend to think of things in parts whereas creative people tend to think of things as a whole. Naturally organized people like lists and putting things in a linear order. It's much harder for someone who is right-brained dominant.
"There is no doubt that creativity is the most important human resource of all. Without creativity, there would be no progress and we would be forever repeating the same patterns." - Edward de Bono
However, don't give up hope! You simply need to get, well, more creative in your method of organizing. Creative people are visual people; out of sight, out of mind. So with that in mind, here are a few ideas that will help someone who is right-brained dominant organize some areas of their home.
PAPER - Creative people struggle with paper.
- Place a bulletin board on the wall near your desk to place all of your important reminders.
- Do not put unpaid bills in a drawer in your desk, rather keep them in a basket on your desk or posted on the bulletin board.
- Use clear, see-through file drawers to file your papers and use colourful file folders to keep track of important documents.
- If possible, choose a digital version of a to-do list and calendar. However, leave these open on your desktop or phone because once they are closed you will tend to forget about them.
- Sort the mail everyday and throw out any advertisements and envelopes.
- Stop delivery of the newspaper and get your news updates online.
- Try getting digital versions of your favourite magazines.
- Hang the majority of your clothes instead of putting them in a drawer. If you don't have enough space, consider investing in a rod that hangs over your existing rod to double your hanging space.
- Be sure to hang like with like in the closet. All your pants should be hung together and all your long-sleeved shirts should be hung together.
The more visual you make things the more your organizing system will work for you. Everyone is different and what works for one person may not necessarily work for another, but give some of these a try if you think that you are a creative person.